1/1 Photo of Chicken Tortilla Soup (Similar to Houston's)
1 hr 15 mins
The Giggle Box's Note:
I have adapted this recipe from another that was posted on Zaar by Eddie Shipman, Tortilla Soup II #4627. I am really doing this for my own reference since I had so many questions about ingredients and the directions. The original recipe said that it was like Houston's Tortilla Soup. My parents, who are Houston's regulars, said it was very close to the original.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes, diced
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 10 small soft corn tortillas
- 12 ounces cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup milk
- corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces
- 1Saute carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in oil until tender.
- 2Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 3Stir in the tomatoes, Ro-tel tomatoes, taco seasoning, and chicken.
- 4Cut soft tortillas into small pieces and add to the broth mixture (My suggestion is to start with 6-8 tortillas and add more if you would like thicker soup).
- 5Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are incorparated into the soup.
- 6Stir occasionally to keep the soup from sticking as it thickens.
- 7Reduce heat and add 6 oz cheese.
- 8Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- 9Add milk and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 10Serve with shredded cheese and corn tortilla chips on top.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup (Similar to Houston's)
Serving Size: 1 (684 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.9
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 83.9 mg
- Sodium 2347.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 35.1 g