Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have adapted this recipe from another that was posted on Zaar by Eddie Shipman, Tortilla Soup II #4627. I am really doing this for my own reference since I had so many questions about ingredients and the directions. The original recipe said that it was like Houston's Tortilla Soup. My parents, who are Houston's regulars, said it was very close to the original.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes, diced
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 10 small soft corn tortillas
- 12 ounces cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup milk
- corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces
- Saute carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in oil until tender.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the tomatoes, Ro-tel tomatoes, taco seasoning, and chicken.
- Cut soft tortillas into small pieces and add to the broth mixture (My suggestion is to start with 6-8 tortillas and add more if you would like thicker soup).
- Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are incorparated into the soup.
- Stir occasionally to keep the soup from sticking as it thickens.
- Reduce heat and add 6 oz cheese.
- Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Add milk and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese and corn tortilla chips on top.
My youngest son gives this soup 10 stars, I've made it many times and the family loves it!
Excellent Soup! We were trying to duplicate the tortilla soup made by Baby Acapulco's Restaurant in Texas...This was very close. We omitted the diced tomatoes and Ro-Tel tomatoes. Didn't use a whole packet of taco seasoning (about 2/3 packet). Only used 4 tortillas to thicken as my husband likes his soup thin. To top it at the end we added sliced avacado, deep fried corn tortilla strips, and a little more cheese. Accidentally forgot the milk...but didn't hurt the taste.
Great soup! I added corn and served Tostitos crumbled on top instead of the corn ones in the soup. I will have to try that next time though. I think I used too many tomatoes and I would probably cut the taco seasoning down to 1/2 or 3/4 of a packet next time to save on the sodium. *update - I made this again with the tortillas in the soup and it was awesome! I halved the recipe and it was the perfect amount. Made my own taco seasoning and it was perfect. Only used the rotel with shredded chicken from the crock pot. I love tortilla soup!