Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mom gave me this recipe, very easy to make, the lime juice is key!
- 1 onion, small chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup tortilla chips, broken
- In 6 Quart saucepan, combine onion, garlic and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer ten minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cheese and tortilla chips, stir well.
- Cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add water to bring to 8 cups if soup boils down.
- Warm bowl.
- Place heaping tablespoon of cheese and chips in each bowl and pour hot soup over.
this recipe turned my non-soup lover husband into a soup lover, he asked for seconds and then leftovers for lunch the next day. now that's a miracle i can never have him eat soup!!!