Recipe by gemini08
A mild and creamy chicken curry that kids will like too. The recipe was originally posted on an Austrian cooking site by my friend and fellow chef, Martha Zech. With her permission I am sharing it with the Zaar family. The original title of the dish is "Haehnchen - Geschnetzeltes mit Brokkoli und Karotten". Serve over rice or oriental noodles for a great weeknight dinner.
Top Review by Susie D
This was delicious & pleased the whole family. The recipe goes into my 'Best of 2012' cookbook and will definitely be made again. The tasty sauce is stellar & there is plenty to serve over rice or noodles. I added 1 T. fresh ginger & 1 clove of garlic when sauteing the chicken, but otherwise followed the recipe. I garnished my portion with cilantro & red chili flakes. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut into strips
- 1 lb broccoli, divided into florets
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tbs butter
- 2 tablespoons good curry powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, half and half can be substituted
- 4 stalks spring onions, sliced into oblong rings
- salt and pepper, parsley to garnish
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- blanch the carrots and broccoli in a pot of boiling water, 1 -2 minutes, immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water to set the color, drain and set aside.
- heat the butter and oil in a heavy, nonstick skillet.
- add the chicken strips and sautee for a few minutes until golden brown.
- add the flour and curry powder and sautee for a minute while constantly stirring.
- deglaze with milk or half and half (use less flour and add chicken broth if using half and half milk) and simmer for @ 6 minutes, add more broth as needed.
- add broccoli and carrots, heat through, sprinkle with spring onions.
- garnish with parsley or cilantro and serve immediately.