I found this recipe in Woman's World and made it last night. It is so fresh tasting and flavourful. It is a nice change for a pasta dish.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Cook pasta according to package directions adding peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tblsp. of oil in a large non-stick skillet over med. high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Remove sausage from the pan and reserve.
- Slice the sausage into 1/2" thick slices.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium heat in the same skillet as the sausage was removed from.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the next 5 ingredients.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften and start to reduce, about 8 minutes.
- Toss with pasta, sausage and cheese.
- Stir in reserved pasta water.
- Sprinkle with basil.
Good dish... I added a little bit of brown sugar to sweeten it and bring out more flavor. Maybe my tomatoes weren't very good?
This is a very healthy, excellent tasting recipe. It has become my favorite pasta dish and it is so easy. I used organic Italian style chicken sausage and it was delicious.
Delicious and simple recipe that my whole family really enjoyed. Made with chicken parmesan sausage that was so yummy.