Italian Chicken Sausage and Peppers Skillet
photo by Daidreams
- Ready In:
- 1 lb Italian chicken sausage
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can recipe ready tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 lb mini penne pasta, cooked al dente
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat large skillet and add olive oil. Add sausage and brown on all sides. Remove sausage to cutting board.
- Add onion to pan and cook about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Then add peppers, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Cook until crisp tender.
- While pepper mixture is cooking. Cut sausage into bite sized pieces. Then add back to skillet when peppers are just about done.
- Add tomatoes and wine and let come to boil. Turn down to simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered. Stir in cooked and drained pasta.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
This is one of the most flavorful, yet simple recipes I've made in a long time and I had to write a review! I used rigatoni (didn't have penne), but made no other substitutions or evena single adjustment and it was delicious! My husband and toddler both loved it and ate it up. As fast as it is to make, it will re-heat easily the next day as well. It's simple, rustic and good enough to add to my "surprise weeknight dinner guest" recipe list.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A "40-some year old" wife and mother of 3 who has always had a passion for cooking and baking. My very first cookbook was Betty Crockers Cookie Cookbook when I was 10. I started making the recipes and was hooked since. ( I still use that cookbook today!) I love to make recipes from collections from churches or large families (as everyone always submits their best) and admire Ina Garten for her simple, gourmet style.