Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
Pork can easily be substituted.
Make and share this Chicken Satay recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 16 bamboo skewers
- oil or coconut milk
- peanut sauce (recipe #63210)
- fresh cilantro leaves
- romaine lettuce leaf
- Cut thin (1/4-inch) slices that run the length of the chicken breast (each slice will be 1 inch by 4 inches by 1/4 inch approximately) to get 16 slices.
- If you find it difficult to cut thinly through fresh meat, leave it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to harden slightly and then slice.
- Place the chicken strips in a plastic freezer bag.
- Add all the marinating ingredients and gently toss until well mixed.
- Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for at least 2 to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook the satays, stir chicken in its marinade and then thread each slice onto a skewer, working the skewer in and out of the meat, down the middle of the slice, so that it stays in place during grilling.
- Baste the chicken with oil or coconut milk and grill on a barbecue or under the broiler.
- Cook for not much more than 2 minutes each side, turning fairly often to prevent unnecessary burning, and baste one more time with oil or coconut milk.
- The satays are done when they have turned golden brown and crispy along the edges.
- Serve on lettuce leaves, decorated with fresh cilantro leaves, and accompanied by a small bowl of Peanut Sauce on the side.
I followed the recipe almost exactly. I always do so I can fairly rate a recipe. The ingredients I did NOT change, I marinaded for almost 12 hours. The only thing I did different was just dumped the chicken and marinade in a pan and fried it, then served it all over a bed of chinese noodles I found in the asian section of my grocery store. It was MARVELOUS ! This recipe is a keeper, thank you for posting.
I made this for my very fussy family and they all loved it! It was so easy to make and is a new weekly favourite. It is a delicious recipe. Thanks Rita!
I marinated by chicken strips for almost 24 hours then cooked on a George Foreman Grill. Very good!!