Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A light and healthier twist to a classic comfort food.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, bottom 4 inches only, washed well and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1⁄2 lb green beans
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (try non or low fat)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium or non fat, if possible)
- 1 cup peas, thawed if frozen
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 4 individual size baking dishes with cooking spray.
- Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 2 more teaspoons of oil to skillet. Saute leeks and celery, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes, green beans, garlic and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook 2 minutes more until all ingredients are combined.
- Add milk. Mix broth with flour, then add to pan. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes. Return chicken, add peas, parsley and thyme. Spoon into prepared baking dishes.
- Cut phyllo dough into quarters. Place one piece on each pie. Brush with oil. Repeat until there are 3 layers. Tuck ends of dough into dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place baking dishes on a baking sheet and bake 30 minutes, until filling is hot and bubbling.