Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Don't be daunted by the long list of ingredients. This recipe has lots of herbs and spices, but the list is flexible. I think the sage is necessary for an authentic sausage flavor (and I personally like the fennel), but the other herbs and spices can be mixed and matched according to your taste - and what you have in your spice rack.
- 1 lb ground chicken (not too lean) or 1 lb turkey (not too lean)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup apple, grated (about 1/2 of a granny smith)
- 1⁄3 cup hazelnuts, chopped (or whole, shelled pistachios)
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin (optional)
- If you're using the golden raisins, reconstitute them by simmering them briefly in a little water, apple cider, or apple juice and letting them sit for a few minutes. Toast the hazelnuts if desired.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Allow to chill in the refrigerator, covered, for one hour or overnight.
- Form into 2-inch patties (or size of your choice). I do this with a small ice cream or meatball scooper and then flatten them out on the grill.
- Fry in butter over medium heat until browned and cooked through.