Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
We always have this meal made with leftover turkey after the holidays. It is one of my father's favorites.
- 6 teaspoons butter or 6 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon instant bouillon granules
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas
- toast points or toasted English muffins or biscuit
- For sauce, melt butter or margarine in a large saucepan.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add the milk, water and bouillon all at once.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in the chicken or turkey, mushrooms, peas and pimiento.
- Continue to stir and cook until sauce bubbles again.
- Serve over toast points, English muffins or biscuits.
Excellent recipe, easy and not overly rich. Hubby and daughter loved it. I added more mushrooms and an half a cup peas and carrots.
This was delicious!! I made it after getting home from work and it was easy and quick - perfect after being gone all day. And my family loved it!
This was great! I added fresh mushrooms, and used biscuits to serve them with. I felt like the quality of the chicken bouillon I used really boosted this dish. My husband thanks you! Edit* I have begun using 4 T butter, 1/3 c flour, and 2 1/2 c milk, omitting the water, for a creamier consistency. You just have to add the milk slowly and keep stirring til it thickens. It really goes well with this recipe.