Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A canning recipe for Chicken Mexican Soup. I came up with this great tasting soup by following safe canning guidelines. I pressure can soup every summer to enjoy through the winter. It is easy and taste great! This recipe makes 7 quarts.
- 3 large boneless chicken breasts (cooked, shredded or cubed )
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots (sliced )
- 2 cups celery (sliced )
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (rinsed and drained )
- 4 cups diced tomatoes (fresh or canned )
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups corn (frozen or fresh cut kernels from cob)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon canning salt
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- Boil chicken covered in water until done. When chicken has cooled you can shred it or cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Prepare pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. ( do not boil ).
- In large pot add all ingredients except chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 3 minutes. Add chicken and boil lightly for 5 minutes.
- Ladle hot soup into hot jars leaving 1-inch headspace, remove air bubbles and wipe rim of jar. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fingertip tight. Place jars into pressure canner.
- Process quarts at 11 pounds pressure for 90 minutes or pints for 75 minutes ( adjust for altitude if needed ).
- Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
- THIS RECIPE YIELDS 7 QUARTS!
This is EPIC, I made this last Thursday, had jars ready to go..got a call that my family was coming for a 4 day weekend so it never made the first jar..They loved it..served it with fresh lime pico de gallo..and tortillas..made a geat crowd pleaser dinner with not a drop left.I did use black beans as opposed to kidney beans and used an extra can of rotel,one hot one medium..very snappy..I hope the next round makes it into jars!! Bring on the canning recipes!!
This is terrific! I didn't have Rotel on hand so used extra fresh chopped tomatoes and green chilis... used black beans that I'd just cooked in the pressure cooker, so probably 4 cups of them total. I added cilantro, 1 tsp black pepper, a good squirt of lemon juice, and upped the cumin to 1 tbs and salt to 2 tbs. I ended up with not only 7 quarts canned, but enough for a hearty meal for 4. During canning season, having enough extra for a meal is SUPER HELPFUL!! Will add rice to this before serving. Delicious recipe and it's really colorful too. :)
Thanks, this soup is the bomb! I substituted chili beans with the sauce and it gave the soup a fabulous flavor. My canned jars are beautiful. Thank you again!