Recipe by Sharlene~W
Tasty chicken enchiladas from a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. A family favorite for years.
Top Review by Aroostook
Sharlene, What a great recipe! Just had a feed for 50 people and made three large pans of enchiladas. Yours was the first to go and people were asking for more! Thanks for posting.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, inced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup small pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 72 inches corn tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup small pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can enchilada sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the 1 cup chopped onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender but not brown; stir in flour.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili peppers, sugar, cumin and salt.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; set aside.
- Combine chicken, HALF the cheese, the 1/4 cup onion, chopped olives and the 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Set aside.
- In skillet, dip tortillas briefly in small amount of hot oil until limp but not crisp; drain (you can also soften instead in microwave for a few seconds.) Spoon 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla; roll up.
- Place in a large (13x9x2-inch) baking dish.
- Pour tomato mixture over all.
- Pour enchilada sauce evenly over top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese; return to oven until cheese melts, 2 or 3 minutes.
- Top with the sliced olives.