Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My grandma makes this and it is fabulous! Everyone loves it. It is pretty much like making the sausage and cornbread dressing like you would have at Thanksgiving or Christmas except made with chicken. I have made it with soup beans, macaroni and cheese, and fried potatoes before and my family enjoyed it. Or make with any side you like. Great; a must try!
- 2 (9 -10 inch) skillet cornbread (prepared)
- 6 -8 pieces white bread (toasted)
- 3 -4 chicken breasts (slow cooked and shredded)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken base (better than bouillon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook chicken until tender enough to shred ( a couple of hours).
- Prepare cornbread.
- Saute onions and celery in a medium to large skillet until tender.
- Stir in shredded chicken, sage, and thyme. Cook 1 minute then add broth, butter, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Toast bread.
- Crumble bread and cornbread into a large mixing bowl.
- Add cream of chicken soup and chicken base.
- Add shredded chicken mixture to bowl. Combine well.
- Pat mixture into a 9X13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees 40 minutes to an hour or until browned.