Chinese Chicken Salad & Dressing
I could drink this salad dressing but it's even better drizzled on a chicken salad. Makes a nice main dish for lunch or dinner. Not for the calorie or carb-conscious.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons peeled grated fresh ginger (freeze it, peel with potato peeler)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons coleman dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced (double if you like garlic)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Sift sugar& mustard together.
- Slowly add vinegar until smooth (whisk).
- Place mixture on top of double boiler (or use diffuser under a regular pot instead).
- Cook& stir on low until sugar is melted.
- Stir in soy sauce, ginger, garlic and blend well.
- Stir in oils.
- Add lemon juice, salt& pepper.
- Remove from stove, cool and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Combine salad ingredients and drizzle dressing over top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Deeeelicious! The dressing is so good. I was craving a chinese salad with some kind of dressing just like this one. I made it and it was sooo good. My husband loves it too. You might want to reduce the amount of sugar though, because I reduced it by almost half and it was still a lil sweet for me. Other than that, this recipe is a keeper! Thanks for posting!!!Reply
WOW, I made this for a funeral gathering and it got rave reviews from everyone. It was gone in a flash. I left out the dry mustard just because I was out and didn't want to go to the store. Yes, the dressing is the best of any I have ever tried. For the salad I used sauteed chicken, cole slaw style cabbage, sugar snap peas, chinese peas, green onion, celery, toasted almonds & ramen noodles. This is the only chinese chicken salad recipe I will ever use again.Reply
see 3 more