Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is simple to make and so good! I have made it several times and plan on making it on a regular basis, we really enjoyed this chicken dish. Although it does not say to, I deglazed the pan with about 1/4 cup dry white wine after I browned the cutlets and transfered them to a plate, you can also deglaze with dry vermouth. If you don't care for garlic then leave it out.
Top Review by Tmisen2980
I made this as part of the My Three Chefs challenge. This is a great recipe, the directions are easy to follow. I did have to make one minor change. I thought I had allspice but found out in the middle of getting the spices out that I was wrong. I used Tony's Creole Seasoning in place of the allspice. I used 6 boneless skinless chicken breast and found that while browining the chicken I had to add quite a bit more butter and oil to keep everything from burning. I cooked my chicken for longer than the 3-4 minutes becuase I am very picky about chicken and wanted to make sure it was pretty close to done (that could be why I had to add so much more butter and oil). I did deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of white wine before adding the mushrooms and onions. I did double the sauce oart so naturally I had to add more of the flour mixture to thicken it. I also added a couple of dashes of the Tony's and some garlic powder to the sauce. My daughter could not say enough about how wonderful it was. My husband is not much of a gravy person but he also loved this over the mashed potato (#148549) recipe I made along with this. This is a keeper.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme (rubbed between fingers)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded slightly thin
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (or use 1/4 cup butter)
- 1 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Flatten chicken breasts slightly between two pieces of plastic wrap.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon thyme, allspice, salt and pepper (set aside about 1 heaping tablespoon flour).
- Rinse the chicken in cold water, pat dry with paper towel.
- Coat the chicken with flour mixture.
- In a heavy large skillet oven medium heat melt the butter with olive oil.
- Add the chicken and brown for about 3-4 minutes on each side; transfer to a plate.
- At this point you can deglaze with white wine if desired.
- Add in sliced mushrooms, onion, garlic (if using) and remaining 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme; saute until mushrooms are brown (about 5 minutes).
- Mix in reserved 1 tablespoon flour; cook 1 minute.
- Add in the whipping cream, grated Parmesan cheese and chicken broth; bring to a boil and stir occasionally.
- Return the chicken and any juices to the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until the chicken is cooked through and the gravy thickens slighty (about 5-8 minutes).