Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Chicken soup with a kick, really tasty and easy.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (I use the petite diced that you get at superwalmart)
- 2 dried bay leaves or 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 cup uncooked regular long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- Melt butter in 5 to 6 quart dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cook onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and chicken in butter 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is softened and chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until flour is light brown.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except rice and water.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium low.
- Cover and cook 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook rice in water as directed on package; stir cooked rice into soup.
- Remove bay leaves.
Very tasty variation on chicken soup (which we eat all the time). I added a chopped red pepper as well. Thanks!