Creole Chicken Soup
- Ready In:
- 10hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 lb low-fat kielbasa
- 1 1⁄2 cups okra, sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounces low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 -4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 1 hour.
- Stir, reduce heat to low and cook 7 - 9 hours.
- Remove chicken from the pot, cool slightly.
- Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces; return to pot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This soup was really good...I omitted the okra, simply because I didn't have any. I cut down on the tomato sauce(used a small can) and added a can of diced tomatoes with onions. Since it has so much chicken broth, I would suggest you cut back on the salt,or omit it completely. I thought it was a tad salty, but everyone else loved it...will make this one again.Thanks!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I've been a member since 2001.