Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love how easy this comes together and what great flavors. Recipe courtesy of KalynsKitchen.com. Serving size is estimated.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon garlic puree
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces vegetable broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa
- 6 -8 drops Tabasco jalapeno sauce or 6 -8 drops hot sauce
- 30 1⁄2 ounces black beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- cut lime, forserving
- sour cream, for serving
- In a large heavy soup pot, saute onions and celery in olive oil 3 to 5 minutes, until soft but not browned. Add the ground cumin, chili powder, celery seed, and garlic and saute about 2 minutes more.
- Add the chicken stock, vegetable broth, tomatoes, and salsa, and simmer 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, taste for hotness and add green tabasco if desired. Add black beans and chicken and simmer 15 to 20 minutes more. While the soup is simmering, wash and chop enough fresh cilantro to make a cup of chopped cilantro and squeeze enough limes to make 3 tablespoons juice.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, ad the chopped cilantro and simmer 5 minutes. Then add lime juice and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Serve hot with fresh limes to squeeze into the soup and serve with sour cream and additional chopped cilantro.