Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so simple to make and very yummy, I usually serve this in the really large vol-au-vent shells, but I could not get any, so I had to serve in medium ones. These are not ideal as you can not get much filling into them, I ended up pouring some of the filling over after taking a photo, so we were not eating just pastry cases with no filling, which is ok but does not look the most appealing. I usually buy the 12.5cm cases just so you can get an idea of the size compared to the ones in the photo.
- 4 (12 1/2 cm) pastry vol-au-vent cases (read note above with regards to the ones used in the photo.)
- olive oil
- 700 g chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300 g mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 leek, sliced thinly
- 1 (60 g) packet cream of chicken soup (The one I buy makes up 1 liter)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat oil in a pan cook chicken in batches until browned, remove and set to one side.
- Heat a little more oil in the same pan, add leeks, garlic and mushrooms, cook until leeks and mushrooms have softened, return chicken to pan and removed from heat.
- In a saucepan whisk soup powder with milk and stock, bring to the boil to thicken, stir in tarragon. (my packet mix requires one more cup of liquid than I use, so that I end up with a thicker version than a soup, to use as the sauce, so bear this in mind.).
- Pour soup mix into pan with chicken and mushroom mix, stir to combine, gently stir in avocado.
- Place spoonfuls of chicken mix into pastry cases, bake in oven for about 5-8 Min’s until hot.
- I served our with honeyed carrots and buttered spinach.