Mushroom Vol Au Vent
photo by luvcookn
- Ready In:
- 11 ounces frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, blended with 1 tbsp water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- salt & pepper
- If you would rather not make the pastry you can purchase Vol au Vent shells and can skip the first several steps.
- Roll the pastry out to 1/4 inches thick on a well floured board.
- Cut six 3 inches circles with a pastry cutter. Make a smaller cut 1/4 " inside each case all around but do not cut all the way through.
- Place on ungreased baking tray and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the cases with the egg and water glaze and bake at 400 degree for 20 minutes or until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack then carefully remove the lids with a sharp knife and scoop out any uncooked mixture.
- melt the butter in a skillet and add the sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Blend in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Blend in the milk, bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Fill the prepared cases with the filling, replace the lids and return to a 400 degree oven for another 10 - 15 minutes. Be careful they do not burn.
- prep time includes making the shells.
I made this last night. My husband loved it. One thing I will do different next time is not put the mushroom mixture in the pastries for the second go around in the oven. Made the bottoms tough. I will do pastries the 20 minutes, then remove the tops and bake 10 more minutes. That way the pastries will be flakey instead of tough. I'll completely cook the mushroom mixture on the stove top. Then add the mushroom mixture into the pastries at the time of serving.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY