Chicken a La King in Puff Paste
photo by Tuck Burnette
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 large single serve patty shells
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, from the heart, sliced thinly
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, sliced thinly on a bias
- 1⁄2 - 1 red bell pepper, peeled, seeded, cored, sliced in half horizontally, and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, trimmed, cubed
- 8 ounces of thinnest asparagus, tough parts removed, remainder cut into 1/2-1-inch pieces
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup frozen young peas, defrosted
- 5 sprigs tarragon, leaves finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Bake patty shells on a sheet according to package directions.
- Soften the onion in the oil. Add the celery and carrots. Cook till very lightly gold.
- Add the bell pepper and the bay leaf and some salt and pepper.
- Stir in the butter and flour till melted and bubbled form. Add the white wine and chicken broth. Simmer.
- Season the chicken with salt and a few turns of pepper. Add to the broth after two to three minutes poach gently until half done.
- Stir in the asparagus and cream and peas.
- Cook two minutes more stir in the tarragon. Correct for seasoning, and serve in the hot vol-au-vent at once.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!