Chicken Avocado and Mushroom Vol-Au-Vents
photo by Chef floWer
- Ready In:
- olive oil
- 4 seasoned chicken breasts (I sprinkle both sides of the breasts with garlic, paprika and parsley)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 4 large vol-au-vent cases (about 13cm in diameter)
For the sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken stock, concentrated (powder, cubes, paste etc.. My stock is quite dense so adjust quantity for taste with what you use.)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 pinch cayenne
- Note: I could not get large vol-au-vent cases and used medium ones, they are just too small you can't fit enough filling in so there is too much pastry. For photo purposes I didn't overfill, but if this size is all you can get I suggest over stuffing and pouring extra filling and sauce over the top when dishing out. It doesn't look as pretty but you get a good ratio of filling to pastry and it still tastes delicious. The quantity of filling is for large cases and works well, but is to much for such small cases (hence over stuff). I used 2 cases for myself but gave 3 to my hubby.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion and garlic, cook until onion softens, add mushrooms and cook until soft. Set aside.
- Wipe pan clean and add some more oil add seasoned breasts and cook both sides until cooked through. Remove and chop chicken into chunks. Set to one side.
- Pour milk in a pan with stock and heat. Add a little water to cornflour mix and pour half of the liquid into the milk, stir until mixture thickens slightly.
- Add wine, Dijon mustard, cayenne and cream stir to combine, add the rest of the cornflour and stir until mixture thickens.
- Return mushrooms, onion and chicken to cream mixture, add the thyme and avocado and stir in gently to combine. Keep hot until serving.
- Place vol-au-vent cases on an oven tray. Bake in a moderate oven about 5 Min's or until heated through.
- To serve place cases on plate and spoon filling into them. I served mine with honeyed carrots and buttery garlic spinach.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this as an entrée last night and it was very yummy, served it with a green salad. It was very easy to make, I cooked the chicken first then did the onions and garlic to give me some time chopping them up while the onions and garlic cook. I also left out the fresh thyme leave and replaced it with dried thyme because I didn't have any at home. Thanks The Flying Chef for posting your recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a pilot based in Switzerland who loves to cook and experiment with all kinds of foods from around the world. <br /> <br />I love throwing parties and intimate dinner parties especially seeing how much people enjoy themselves. <br /> <br />I love the ooutdoors and sports and to travel, although I haven't crossed off every place I want to visit in the world. <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/MEMBEROFTHEWEEK-1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr336/jess4freedom/Zaar%20banners/ANZ-MakeMyRecipe.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/pictSF7ey-1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/pick0GuXD-1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/bb_babe626/AUST5.jpg alt= /></p> <p> </p> <div id=_mcePaste style=position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 1246px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden;>[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/deb112.gif/][IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9095/deb112.gif[/IMG][/URL]</div> <div id=_mcePaste style=position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 1246px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden;>Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]</div>