- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (900 ml) package chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package gnocchi
Spinach Gremolata Topping (optional)
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Fry the chicken, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and bay leaf, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and 1-1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the gnocchi; simmer, uncovered, until the gnocchi float to the top and are firm to the touch, about 5 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- To make the gremolata, combine in a bowl the spinach, lemon rind and juice, oil and garlic.
- Sprinkle onto the bowls of soup.