Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe adapted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible: 1,000 Family Recipes from Around the World.
Make and share this Chicken and Chickpea Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups long-grain rice or 1 1⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups hot chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Crumble saffron threads into a small bowl, add 2 tbsp boiling water and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the coriander and cumin. Cook the chicken in batches, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining oil to the saucepan. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the rice. Return the chicken to the saucepan and stir in the broth, along with the saffron and its liquid, 1/2 tsp salt and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas, then stir in along with the raisins and cook about 5 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a warm serving platter and serve hot, sprinkled with almonds and parsley.