Recipe adapted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible: 1,000 Family Recipes from Around the World.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain rice or 1 1/4 cups basmati rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups hot chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup golden raisin
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1Crumble saffron threads into a small bowl, add 2 tbsp boiling water and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the coriander and cumin. Cook the chicken in batches, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining oil to the saucepan. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, until softened.
- 3Stir in the rice. Return the chicken to the saucepan and stir in the broth, along with the saffron and its liquid, 1/2 tsp salt and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4Rinse and drain the chickpeas, then stir in along with the raisins and cook about 5 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a warm serving platter and serve hot, sprinkled with almonds and parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Chickpea Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.5
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 85.9 mg
- Sodium 1174.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 37.0 g