Cook1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is great for those who do not wish to use sausage in their stuffings. I got it from a Gourmet magazine 8 years ago.
- preheat oven to 350°F.
- toast bread in a baking pan until just dry-15 to 20 minutes.
- cut onions into eight and cook in butter oven moderate heat until golden brown-25 minutes.
- simmer chestnuts in 2 cups of broth for 15 minutes.
- remove pan from heat and stir in currants.
- let mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- chop parsley.
- toss together bread, onions, chestnut mixture, and reamining 1 1/2 cups broth, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste
- cool completely.
- preheat oven to 325°F.
- bake stuffing in a shallow baking dish for 45 minutes.
- garnish with parsley.
I made this for Thanksgiving this year. I cut the amount in half and used 8 oz vacuum packed chestnuts that I bought from Trader Joe's. I used raisin instead of currant and regular parsley instead of flat leaf parsley. I also didin't have fresh sage, but it turned out great. Everybody raved about it! One of the guests said stuffing was not usually her favorite Thanksgiving dish but this one was an exception. The ladies all asked for the recipe. Thank you for posting it!