Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious bar cookies made from a white boxed cake mix. If you are a Weight Watcher, each bar equals 4 points.
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar, packed
- 44.37 ml water
- 2 eggs
- 510.29 g box white cake mix with pudding, enriched
- 473.18 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray at 9 x 13 inch pan with Pam for Baking Spray.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the water and the eggs.
- Stir in the cake mix.
- Finally, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Substitutions: I used margarine to keep it non-dairy, brownulated sugar, and a box of Duncan Hines yellow cake mix. I ran out of chocolate chips after one cup, so I "compensated" by adding colored sprinkles to the top of the batter before baking... my "taste testers" gave it four stars, "five if it would have more chocolate chips." Since it's SUPPOSED to have more chocolate chips, I'm rating this five stars. Thanks for the easy recipe!
My family loves these cookies. Since I'm on Weight Watchers, I was glad to see that it was only 4 points. Well I didn't realize that this recipe was from 2008 and the point value is really 6. This is the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. I will keep making them anyway.
I altered this recipe by substituting 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce and 1/4 cup of yogurt in place of the butter and I left out the brown sugar since the cake mix is already sweetened. I only used one cup of chocolate chips and found that it was plenty.I added in 1/2 cup of pecans to the mixture as well. Yummy and I'm certain it reduces the points by at least one if not two. It's healthier for sure.