Recipe by Chef floWer
Bocconcini means small mouthfuls of cheese they are semi-soft, white and rind less unripened mild cheese and have a spongy texture. Originally made only from the milk of water buffaloes but cows milk is used now. Bocconcini are now available in supermarkets and packaged in whey or water. The originally recipe asked for 3 x 250 gram of cherry tomatoes but I thought it's a bit excessive as the 14 cm pizza can hold only about eight tomatoes. I topped ours with basil as I found rocket a little bitter. You welcome to skip the dough and use store buy a pizza bases or Lebanese bread, it's up to you. This recipe came from Sunday Hearld Sun, Sunday Magazine on 18 March 2007, it's a Donna Hay recipe
Top Review by katew
Great early dinner for us tonight. I used a pre made pizza base and lots of mini boconcini balls cut in half. I did not use rocket but spinach shredded from the garden and also threw in a few mushrooms. Very enjoyable !!
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water, lukewarm temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 32 cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup oregano leaves, freshly chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly cracked to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 180 g bocconcini, drained and torn
- 100 g baby rocket, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the dough, place the yeast, sugar and water in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and oil stirring with a butter knife until a dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large bowl, cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 30 minutes or until the dough is doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 230oC/450oF/Gas 5.
- For the topping, place the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl and crush with a potato masher. Divide the dough into four and roll out each portion to a 14cm/5.5 inch round. Place on greasy baking trays and top each pizza with mozzarella, parmesan, bocconcini and tomato mixture and cook for 10-15 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Top with rocket to serve.