Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is one that my Mom used to make quite often. I like it and I don't even like cherries!
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, one at a time
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Mix together all ingredients except the pie filling.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups batter.
- Spread the rest of the batter in a jelly roll pan.
- Spread 1 can of cherry pie filling over batter.
- Spoon the reserved batter on top.
- Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir together the glaze ingredients. Drizzle over top of cherry squares while still warm.
These make a tasty treat. I was a little worried that my jelly roll pan was going too big, but it worked out fine. I did use parchment paper and I'm glad I did. The edges, which were not completely covered with the parchment paper kind of stuck to the pan. So be sure to grease your pan! I baked mine for about 30 minutes and they turned out just fine. They do have to cool down quite a bit to cut into nice squares. We liked the glaze, too. They are sweet but that's what a dessert is supposed to be! Thanks for sharing. Made for Photo Tag.
I wish these had turned out better. They burned a bit, even at such a low oven temp. It may have been from the sugar in the cherry filling. The glaze is very sweet. The cake part on the inside was very good. I wouldn't use thew glaze and probably take them out sooner next time. Made and Reviewed for Please Review My Recipe Tag :)
I love the cake part, but not thrilled with the cherries or glaze - it kind of puts it at a teeth aching sweet taste. Still, this is a great recipe - very easy to make and pretty on a serving tray as well. Made for the Tic Tac Toe Game.