Crowd-Pleaser Cherry Squares
This is my favourite bar-type cookie from Company's Coming! After you've tried it, you'll understand why.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup medium grind coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup candied cherries or 1/2 cup maraschino cherry (at least)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- FIRST LAYER: Crumble ingredients together well.
- Press into ungreased 9 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 15 minutes.
- SECOND LAYER: Beat eggs slightly; add remaining ingredients in the order listed.
- If using maraschino cherries, drain well.
- I prefer using candied cherries- at Christmas, I use a mixture of red& green.
- Spread over first layer& return to oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- TOP LAYER: Beat ingredients in a small bowl, adding more water if necessary to make a more spreadable mixture.
- This makes a minimum amount of icing to spread over top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Country Lady these cherry squares are so delicious! I used maraschino cherries in mine. I also doubled the top layer recipe and replaced the water with the maraschino cherry juice so that the top layer was light pink. These looked very pretty on my cookie platter that I had arranged for our Christmas dinner. Thanks!Reply
see 8 more