Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a different easy rice dish that goes good with roasted meats. If you want another way to use spinach then this recipe would be for you.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- In a 2 qt casserole dish, combine rice mix and seasoning packet with mushrooms.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, spinach, onion, butter, mustard, and nutmeg.
- Bring to boiling; remove from heat.
- Stir; pour over rice mixture.
- Stir in cream cheese.
- Bake, covered in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Stir mixture.
- Cover;bake 15-20 minutes more or until rice is tender.
- Stir again.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This is soo rich and yummy! Instead of a seasoning packet (we don't have rice mixes here!), I used Rice Seasoning Mix. I'm not too fond of mushrooms, so I used sliced water chestnuts, which added some nice crunch! Also omitted the butter. A fabulous side dish - I will definitely try this as a main dish too by adding cooked & seasoned chicken bits... Mmm! Thank you very much for sharing!
THIS was fabulous! But...I kinda "doctored" it up a bit. Instead of canned mushrooms, I used sliced sundried tomatoes in oil, jarred artichoke hearts, and shrimp to make it more of a dinner. And then at the last five minutes, I topped with grated parm and cheddar and broiled. MMmmm! Thank you so much for sharing such a delicious and easy recipe!!! LA :-)