Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I freeze a couple cups leftover mashed potatoes from different meals each time to have for this soup! this is great without the ham, but I like to add it in, we love lots of spice so I add in 2 jalapeno peppers with the onions, but that is only optional, serve with crusty bread for a filling main meal ---- this soup is delicious, you know I wouldn't take the time to post anything that's not, so please enjoy! :)
- 44.37-59.16 ml butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh minced garlic
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml chili powder (can use more to taste)
- 591.47 ml sliced fresh mushrooms
- 828.06-946.36 ml chicken broth (or use turkey broth)
- 946.36 ml leftover mashed potatoes
- 473.18 ml chopped cooked ham (can use more)
- 295.73 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 59.14 ml 18% cereal cream (or use whipping cream)
- 4.92 ml seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- 4.92-9.85 ml coarse black pepper (or to taste)
- chopped green onion
- grated parmesan cheese (optional) or grated cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add in onion, garlic, thyme and chili powder; saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and saute until tender.
- Add in chicken broth and cooked ham; cook until heated through.
- Mix in mashed potatoes with a wooden spoon until smooth and no lumps remain; bring soup to a simmer over medium heat.
- If you find that the soup is too thick for your liking then add in more broth.
- Reduce heat to low and add in cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.
- Season with season salt and black pepper and add in more chili powder if desired.
- Mix in sour cream and table cream until heated through (DO NOT boil!).
- Ladle into bowls then sprinkle with chopped green onion and Parmesan cheese or grated cheddar cheese (if using).