Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
My original Cheeseburger and Fries Casserole is very simple and is a hit with kids especially, but honestly it is not my favorite. I have issues with the flavor of processed cheese (think Cheez Whiz, Velveeta, etc). So I came up with this alternative, which is just as easy as the original, and now I enjoy it too!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 ounces onion soup mix
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces frozen french fries (crinkle cut)
- Brown ground beef in skillet; drain grease.
- Stir in pepper, garlic powder, mustard, soup mix and water; blend well. Mix in 1 c of the cheddar and the swiss cheese.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish; top with french fries.
- Bake 20-25 minutes at 400° until fries are golden brown.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese and return to oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
This was pretty good. I cut the recipe in half, and added cooked onion & pepper to the beef mixture. I couldn't really detect any cheese in the meat mixture so next time I might add more. I also sprinkled some freshly chopped tomato over top of the fries as I was adding the cheese to melt over top. My husband requested that I make it again- thanks for posting the recipe.
This is clever and a nice kid casserole. I made this as written. When I added the cheese to the beef mixture, it turned very dry and sticky. I then stirred in some milk and some generous squirts of ketchup. That moistened it up nicely, plus the ketchup added some more "burgerish" flavor. My kids liked the "cheese fries" on the top the best. Thanx for sharing.