Recipe by Ms*Bindy
From Sundays at Moosewood. Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005. Serve over a bed of brown rice and top with the hot sauce.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Super good! Lots of chopping, but worth the effort. I loved the non-traditional sauce and added a t. of sugar and a little squeeze of lime. Served over a little rice, along with pinto beans and coleslaw. It was a wonderful dinner. I got 16 enchiladas and I'm looking forward to enjoying the leftovers. Thanks for posting the keeper recipe.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 -2 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chile, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups chopped bell peppers (use a variety of colors)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons chilies, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, garlic, chiles, and cumin in the oil for 5-7 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the chopped peppers, cover, and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes, until peppers are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in all the cheeses.
- Add salt to taste and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soften tortillas by frying individually in a little oil for just a few seconds on each side. Drain well on paper towels.
- Place a tortilla on a flat surface.
- Spoon 1/4 - 1/2 cup of cheese and pepper filling onto the half of the tortilla closest to you. Roll and place, seam side down,in a greased baking pan.
- Bake tightly covered for 20-25 minutes.
- When the enchiladas are baking, prepare the hot sauce.
- Puree the tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, chiles, coriander and cumin in a blender until smooth.
- Simmer, uncovered, on how heat for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste. (If you use fresh tomatoes, you may need to simmer for even longer.).
- Serve the enchiladas on a bed of rice and top with the hot sauce.