Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came from a lady who worked in the Bell Canada cafeteria for many years. They were a favourite coffee break snack for most employees.
- 236.59 ml milk
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter, melted & then cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 14.79 ml granulated sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, melted butter, egg& cayenne.
- In a second bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar& salt.
- Stir in cheese.
- Add flour mixture to milk mixture and stir batter until it is just combined.
- The batter should be lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins (buttered or lined) filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20- 25 minutes.
I made these to go with a baked chicken and they were wonderful. We ate them just as well left over as we did when they were fresh out of the oven. The only thing I will do different next time is add a little more cheese, or maybe do a cheese blend.
I love this recipe. I accidentally omitted the sugar and added an extra pinch or two of salt, and they tasted savory and delicious. Thanks for this simple crowd pleaser!:)
I have made these a couple of times now and find them really versatile. One time I added a couple of dessert spoons of corn relish and a little chopped ham. The next time I made them, I used the relish again, but also pushed a small teaspoon of cream cheese into the centre of each muffin before cooking. Yum!