Apple and Cheddar Cheese Muffins
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 medium tart apple, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease muffin pans.
- COMBINE flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cheeses in large mixing bowl.
- BEAT egg, buttermilk, oil and apple together thoroughly.
- ADD liquid ingredients all at once to dry ingredients.
- Stir just until moistened.
- FILL greased muffin cups 3/4 full.
- SPRINKLE tops with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese if desired.
- BAKE at 400°F for 18-23 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
Join The Conversation
These are great. Kind of a cross between muffin and biscuit. Leans toward savory rather than sweet. I have made them 3 times in the past month and about to bake 4th batch now. I increased the apple to about 1 1/2 apples and added some rosemary. I think chives (instead of rosemary) would be a nice addition, too.