Vidalia Onion & Shallot Double Cheese Muffins
mmmmm....need I say more, sweet onions, french sahllots, jarlsberg & cheddar cheeses.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 large shallot, french, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1⁄2 cup jarlsberg cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups biscuit mix (bisquick)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, coarse
- 1 egg, large, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease muffin tin and set aside.
- Saute onions and shallots in butter until clear, then cool until needed.
- Mix cheddar and jarlsberg cheeses together.
- In a large bowl add biscuit mix, 1/2 the cheese blend, and salt. Stir to blend.
- Add egg and milk together, stir and slowly add to the biscuit mix.
- Next add the sauted onions and shallots to the biscuit mix. Stir gently just to moisten.
- Fill the greased muffin tins 1/2 to 3/4 full, sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese blend.
- Drizzle the melted butter overtop and sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until done when tested.
- Makes 10 - 12 muffins depending on size.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
BK, this recipe is simply awesome! The muffins come out dense and hearty with a great onion and cheese taste. YUM! Everyone raved about them and took seconds. The cayenne adds great flavour and complements the onion and cheeses well. <br/>For the bisquick, I used this recipe by Dib's Recipe #16813, which worked out nicely.<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a real keeper with us! Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #55 August 2011.