1/4 Photos of Cheddar Burgers With Balsamic Onions and Chipotle Ketchup
Shelby Jo's Note:
From Bon Apetit magazine July 2008. "The all-American cheeseburger get's a makeover, courtesy of grilled onions, a spicy-smoky ketchup, and an English muffin bun."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb red onion, cut crosswise into 1/3 to 1/2 inch rounds
- olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped chipotle chilies, from canned chipotle chilies in adobo
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from can
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2DO AHEAD; CAN BE MADE UP TO 3 DAYS AHEAD! Prepare grill to medium high heat. Arrange onion rounds on baking sheet. Brush with oil; sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt and pepper. Transfer onion rounds to grill rack; close cover. Cook until onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Toss with vinegar. Cover and chill.
- 3Chipotle Ketchup:.
- 4DO AHEAD; CAN BE MADE UP TO 3 DAYS AHEAD!
- 5Mix ketchup, chilies, adobo sauce, and 2 teaspoons vinegar in small bowl. Season with salt and more vinegar, if desired. Cover and chill.
- 7Shape beef into 6 1/2 inch-thick patties. Sprinkle patties on both sides with coarse salt and pepper.
- 8Prepare grill to medium high heat. Place burgers on grill. Close cover; cook burgers until bottoms start to darken and juices rise to surface, about 3 minutes. Turn burgers; cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes longer for medium-rare. Top with onions and cheese. Close cover; cook until cheese melts.
- 9Place grilled English muffin or bun bottoms on plates; spread with ketchup. Top with burgers, tomatoes, spinach, and grilled muffin tops. Serve, passing remaining ketchup separately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Burgers With Balsamic Onions and Chipotle Ketchup
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 783.8
- Calories from Fat 403
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 150.1 mg
- Sodium 1265.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 44.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: