This is one of Jamie Oliver's recipes. It is delicious! My whole family loves this, even my 8 year old..and he doesn't usually eat soup at all!! I totally recommend adding the bacon as a garnish, it really finishes it off!
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots.
- Slice the celery.
- Peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Cut the cauliflower into 1.5cm slices.
- Put a large pan on medium heat and add 2tb olive oil.
- Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for around 10 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.
- Grate the cheddar into a bowl and put to one side for later.
- Put the stock cubes into a jug or pan and pour in 1.8 litres of boiling water from the kettle.
- Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add the vegetables.
- Give the soup a good stir and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the cheese and mustard.
- Using a hand blender or liquidizer, pulse the soup until silky smooth.
- Divide between your serving bowls and grate over some nutmeg, if you like.
- If you want to dress it up a bit, top it with some lightly fried crispy bacon.
A truly delicious soup. To be honest I was concerned the flavour would be a bit bland as the main ingredient is cauliflower, but the other ingredients warmed up the flavour beautifully. I left out the olive oil and cooked the vegetables in stock from the start and, using Weight Watchers brand cheese, this recipe provided a total of 9 WW points (without oil). I will be bringing this recipe into my regular soup rotation and I'm sure it will curb many cheese cravings! Thanks so much for this super keeper!
Very nice, being cautious of too much salt in my diet for blood pressure reasons I left out the sea salt altogether and used low salt chicken stock. Absolutely yummy with lots of flavour, I also stirred a teaspoon of fresh cream per bowl when serving. Great to freeze also.
This is great and sooo easy! I had half a huge cauli in the fridge and dinner time was near. I had dinner ready in 18 minutes. I added 3 potatoes at the start (not enough to do anything else with them - 3 potatoes are just annoying!)also added half a tub of creamed cheese, with the regular cheese (I needed to use it up) and left out the mustard (didn't have any). All four of my kids happily ate this with little help and they loved the bacon. A real winner that I will be using again! Thanks Sara for posting.