Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of Jamie Oliver's recipes. It is delicious! My whole family loves this, even my 8 year old..and he doesn't usually eat soup at all!! I totally recommend adding the bacon as a garnish, it really finishes it off!
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 medium onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 800 g cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 g cheddar cheese
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (or chicken)
- sea salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- nutmeg (optional)
- 1 7⁄8 liters water, boiling
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots.
- Slice the celery.
- Peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Cut the cauliflower into 1.5cm slices.
- Put a large pan on medium heat and add 2tb olive oil.
- Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for around 10 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.
- Grate the cheddar into a bowl and put to one side for later.
- Put the stock cubes into a jug or pan and pour in 1.8 litres of boiling water from the kettle.
- Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add the vegetables.
- Give the soup a good stir and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the cheese and mustard.
- Using a hand blender or liquidizer, pulse the soup until silky smooth.
- Divide between your serving bowls and grate over some nutmeg, if you like.
- If you want to dress it up a bit, top it with some lightly fried crispy bacon.
A truly delicious soup. To be honest I was concerned the flavour would be a bit bland as the main ingredient is cauliflower, but the other ingredients warmed up the flavour beautifully. I left out the olive oil and cooked the vegetables in stock from the start and, using Weight Watchers brand cheese, this recipe provided a total of 9 WW points (without oil). I will be bringing this recipe into my regular soup rotation and I'm sure it will curb many cheese cravings! Thanks so much for this super keeper!
I became a fan of this soup and buying it three times a week from Woolworths Jamie Oliver range and then I found this recipe and gave it a go.. Wow tastes even better. Thank you! I Really enjoyed this soup, easy to make and a delicious result! My husband is no veggie or soup fan and he devoured this. Thank you.
Very nice, being cautious of too much salt in my diet for blood pressure reasons I left out the sea salt altogether and used low salt chicken stock. Absolutely yummy with lots of flavour, I also stirred a teaspoon of fresh cream per bowl when serving. Great to freeze also.