Recipe by Chef burnt toast
This is a meatball recipe that my Mom used to make. We gobbled them up. Usually she served them with mashed potatoes and we used the sauce as gravy, but you could serve them with rice.
Top Review by CarrolJ
I'm giving this 5 stars for flavor but 3 stars for texture...which I average out for 4 stars. The flavor was wonderful, especially the sauce. (I served the sweet & sour meatballs...that's really what they are...with fried rice.) But the meatballs had a almost mushy texture which I didn't care for but my DH didn't seem to notice at all. I will make this again but will decrease the water and bread crumbs by 1/2 so that the meatballs will taste like meat and have a little firmer texture. I also suggest that chef's not make the meatballs too big. I think mine would have perhaps been a little firmer if they were smaller.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup saltine crackers or 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- herbs, to taste
- onion, to your taste
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- For meatballs: Combine ground beef, cracker or bread crumbs, salt, milk, pepper and onions/herbs. Blend well.
- Make mixture into balls, and brown them on all sides.
- For sauce: Simmer together ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, water first quantity of water, until hot and sugar is dissolved.
- Thicken smoothly with cornstarch and second quantity of water.
- Add meatballs to sauce and simmer until meatballs are cooked through.