Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe evolved from a Spanish Rice recipe i found on 'zaar, and had to make changes based on what I originally had on-hand. Turned out great, and is often requested in our house! Feel free to substitute any ingredient, as this recipe is based on my own dietetic requirements (i.e., pink peppercorns, pork). Also, preparation time is estimated as I have a vintage stove with ONE BURNER that mostly works on HIGH!!! (are you listening, Mikey?)
- 4 pork chops
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pink peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, flavored with herbs if you have it
- 1 stalk celery, small dice
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup rice, any kind except instant
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- I cut the fat and bones off my pork chops and use to render down to fry the boneless chops. If yours are already boneless, just use a Tbsp of oil to brown the chops. **I dump all of the grease and bones, and just use the residue in the pan.
- In a gallon size plastic bag, add salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and olive oil. Add pork and massage to coat.
- Brown chops in pork renderings or olive oil in a 10-inch oven-proof pan with lid. Remove chops.
- Add onion and celery to pan, and brown in drippings for approximately 5 minutes. Add can of drained corn and 1 tsp of sugar. Stir frequently and brown to desired caramelization.
- Add can of diced stewed tomatoes and 2 cups water. Stir in paprika and crumble oregano leaves over pot. Bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle in 1 cup rice and stir thoroughly.
- Cover with lid and place in preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes. I start checking around 25 minutes into cook time.
- Alternately, this can be cooked on stovetop; although I have not checked the time.