Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Alabama Junior League, this fish is made with beer, cornmeal and mustard. I haven't made it yet.
For the fish
- vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup beer
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal (self rising or plain)
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
For the jalapeno tartar sauce
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 2⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice and grated zest
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups creole mustard
- 1⁄2 cup dill pickle, chopped
- 8 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- Begin heating 2 inches of oil over medium-high heat in a deep, heavy pot to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, combine beer, mustard, 2 tablespoons of oil, salt and pepper in a small shallow bowl; mix well.
- Put the cornmeal in another shallow bowl.
- Dip the fish into the cornmeal and coat, then dip it into the beer mixture.
- Add to the hot oil, one piece at time, cooking in batches if necessary. Do not crowd the pan.
- Fry until crispy and golden brown.
- To Make the jalapeno tartar sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients and mix.
- Chill until ready to serve with the catfish.