Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
In 'From a Southern Oven' by Jean Anderson
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter or 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 226.79 g baby bella mushrooms or 226.79 g white mushrooms, trimmed, wiped clean, and thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml dry white wine or 59.14 ml vermouth
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 59.14 ml unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt, to taste
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1.23 ml dried thyme, crumbled
- 1.23 ml rubbed sage
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 354.88 ml converted rice, cooked according to package directions
- 709.77 ml diced cooked chicken or 709.77 ml turkey
- 118.29 ml coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly butter a 2 1/2 quart casserole; set aside.
- Melt 1 tbs butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, add mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, 8-10 minutes until juices evaporate.
- With slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a small bowl; add wine, toss lightly, and set aside.
- Add remaining butter to skillet and stir-fry onion 6-8 minutes until lightly browned.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and sage, and when smooth, add broth gradually, stirring briskly to incorporate flour.
- Mix in half-and-half and cook, stirring constantly, 3-5 minutes until mixture boils and thickens.
- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed.
- Return mushrooms to skillet along with any wine in bowl, then mix in cooked rice and diced chicken.
- Transfer to casserole, spreading to edge, and top with pecans.
- Slide onto middle oven rack and bake, uncovered about 25 minutes until bubbling and lightly browned.
- Serve hot with baby green peas, butter beans, or asparagus or broccoli.
This is a very tasty casserole. I was looking for a recipe that didn't use canned soup, so this was what I needed. I added 1/4 tsp garlic salt, used half sour cream and half milk for the half-and-half, and used less chicken and added some fully cooked veggies (broccoli or mixed veggies) to round it out. I didn't have pecans, so I used some crushed stuffing mix and cheese.