I found this recipe in a Southern Living cookbook and it is the BEST!!! I am a custom cake baker and decorator and am always hunting for great cake recipes. I know it looks intimidating, as the recipe has 3 parts: Cake, Glaze and Frosting...that's why there's soo many ingredients listed. Every time I make this cake people literally go crazy...I've even had a marriage proposal over this one! Watch out people...you might just get yourself hitched.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
deluxe cream cheese frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese (room temp)
- 3⁄4 cup butter (room temp)
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For Cake:.
- Grease three 8 or 9-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- In your mixing bowl, beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Fold in carrot and next 3 ingredients.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Buttermilk Glaze:.
- Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a medium to large saucepan.
- Boil 4 minutes, stirring constantly until glaze is golden.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and cool slightly.
- Drizzle warm buttermilk glaze evenly over warm cake layers; cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans, inverting layers. Peel parchment; invert again, glaze side up.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Deluxe Cream Cheese Frosting:.
- Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Frost with Deluxe Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top of sides of cake.
- Chill cake several hours before slicing.
- Store in the refrigerator.