This is a copy cat of Carrabba's Restaurant's mussels (they are incredible). I had to find their recipe. I hope you think they just come close.
- 4 cups mussels
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Pernod or 2 tablespoons other licorice liqueur
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and pulp of
Lemon Butter Sauce(use 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup real butter
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- kosher salt
- white pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Soak mussels in cold water for 8 min; scrub with stiff brush and remove beard with sharp knife;rinse mussels again in cold water.
- Heat oil in a skillet; add mussels; cover and cook until shells begin to open, about 2 - 6 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic; toss to mix; cook, covered, for 1 minute.
- Add Pernod, basil,lemon juice and lemon butter sauce; cook for 45 seconds.
- Discard any mussels that did not open. Serve in deep bowl.
- Lemon Butter Sauce:.
- Melt butter over low heat;remove from heat and let sit until the milk solids settle to the bottom; skim the clear butter from the top; discard the sediment.
- Sauté onion and garlic in 2 tbs of the clarified butter until transparent.
- Stir in lemon juice and white wine and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer 2-3 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Remove from heat and swirl in cold butter until sauce is smooth and butter is melted.
very, very close to the actuall recipe. However, do not add the lemon butter sauce until the mussles are done, simply toss them in it at the end, otherwise, the sauce will break.
This recipe is absolutely delicious! I sauteed garlic and onions until clear and soft before adding mussels, but this recipe is spot on! I have even substituted fully cooked packaged/frozen mussels,still delicious and easy.
We loved this but modified it slightly. I simmered the onion until transparent then added garlic before putting the mussels in. Then I added the lemon butter sauce at the end and only used about half of it. Yummmm!