1/1 Photo of Caribbean Shrimp and Vegetable Soup
A very colorful, aromatic, delicious soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chopped fresh green chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable stock (homemade or canned)
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers or 1 cup yellow bell pepper
- 12 ounces fresh small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup coconut milk (low-fat or regular)
- salt and pepper
- 1Add onions, garlic, chile, ginger root, and oil to a large soup pot.
- 2Cover and saute on medium heat for 5 minutes or until the onions start to get soft.
- 3Add in the turmeric and thyme; stir and continue to saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are clear.
- 4Add in the stock and sweet potatoes; cover and bring to a boil.
- 5Lower the heat, keep covered, and simmer 3-4 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
- 6Add in the tomatoes and bell peppers; simmer 3-4 minutes.
- 7Add in the shrimp, cilantro, lime juice, and coconut milk; simmer until the shrimp turn pink.
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Shrimp and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.5
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.0 mg
- Sodium 345.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: