Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Caramel fondue is easy to make and is fun for a crowd. Roll pieces of caramel coated fruit or poundcake in shaved chocolate, chopped nuts or coconut. Mmmmm.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 ounces cups unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb cake, angelfood cake,brownies,bananas,pineapple,pears and apples,for dipping
- shaved chocolate, chopped nuts,grated coconut and minced dried fruit,for sprinkling
- In medium saucepan, combine the sugar with the corn syrup and water.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to moderately high and simmer, brushing down the sides of the saucepan occasionally with a wet brush, ntil the syrup starts to turn golden.
- Gently swirl the pan and continue to simmer until a deep amber caramel forms, about 40 minutes total from the time you started.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Carefullyl stir in the heavy cream, then stir in the butter until melted.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and bring the caramel just to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Let the caramel cool for 30 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Pour the caramel into a heatproof serving bowl or fondue pot set over low heat and serve with the cake, fruit and garnishes.
- The caramel can be refrigerated for 1 week.
- Rewarm gently over low heat.
We really enjoyed this recipe, but it can be a bit tempermental if you've never made caramel before. One thing that I've discovered is that it takes a while for the sugar solution to start browning, but once it does it happens pretty quickly. Be ready with the cream. I wasn't and my batch turned a little bitter. Other than that we had a great time with our friends deciding what to dip and what to top with. One last hint. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream. I used the other 1/2 cup and made fresh whipped cream to top with! yum!