Recipe by Vanessa
Courtesy of KCStar (my local newspaper). I love Caprese salad....specially the one at Macaroni Grill. I will be making this soon!!! The only thing I would add is balsamic vinegar...but that is because I LOVE IT. It's optional!!!
Top Review by FitWitch
I concur with the suggestion to add some balsamic. I put a 50/50 combination of balsamic and EVOO into a jar with a pinch of salt and 1 tsp brown sugar. Shake well in the jar, and then drizzle on the salad. Delicious!!!
- 4 medium tomatoes (about 1.25 lbs, washed and cored)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 5 basil leaves (stacked neatly, rolled into a cylinder n cut into thin ribbons)
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tomatoes into 1/4-in. slices and arrange on a plate, alternating tomatoes with mozzarella slices.
- Scatter basil ribbons over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- NOTE: I would add a bit of balsamic vinegar when I serve it on my plate because it's like the one at Macaroni and Grill.