Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Flavorful and traditional Caprese salad made even more beautiful and healthy on a bed of fresh green beans. I love having this for dinner on a warm summer evening.
- 1 lb green beans, washed and ends removed
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced in 1/3-inch rounds
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt (about 1/4-1/2 tsp.)
- Parboil green beans in a pot of salted, boiling water for about 3 minutes, or until just slightly tender. Strain and place beans in bowl of cold water to keep beans from cooking further and to bring them to room temperature.
- On a large serving platter, cover bottom with a layer of green beans. Then place the tomato slices in a single layer on top. Cover each tomato with a thin slice of mozzarella. Sprinkle the minced garlic and chopped basil on top.
- In a small container, mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt until combined. Drizzle over the salad and serve.
I made this for a backyard bbq last night and it turned out really good. The green beans were a nice addition and the display looked beautiful. It tasted just as good and was easy to put together. I used garlic salt in place of the regular salt and left out the minced garlic on top. Thanks for posting!
I made this without the green beans as I was also serving green beans as a side dish.....and it was terrific! I used small balls of mozzarella instead of slices ...everyone loved it . Thanks so much.
I never thought I would like this, but it is now one of my favorite salads (or snack!)