Prep 12 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
You might have guessed this is a copycat recipe and it rocks if you like Bean and Bacon Soup. Serve with cornbread and honey or sleeves of saltine crackers. Prep time includes bean soaking time.
- 473.18 ml navy beans
- 6 slice uncooked bacon, diced
- 3 small carrots, minced
- 3 stalk celery, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 113.39 g can tomato paste
- 0.25 ml dried red pepper flakes
- 1419.54-1892.72 ml water (substituting 1 or 2 cups of ham stock for equal amount of water gives this soup extra depth)
- 4.92 ml wine vinegar
- 0.19 ml liquid smoke
- salt and pepper
- Soak beans overnight and discard water.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT wine vinegar, liquid smoke, salt and pepper in a large kettle.
- Simmer until beans are tender, around 3 hours.
- Puree 2 cups of soup and return to pot.
- Add wine vinegar and liquid smoke.
- Mix well.
- Taste; add salt and pepper to taste.
While I didn't find this exactly like the Campbells version, it is very close, and is an excellent soup. I will definately make it again.
wow!this is just like the campbells soup! it was my first attempt at bean soup and i will not be looking for any other recipes......i love it!!!