Real Simple Bean and Bacon Soup
From the February 2005 issue of Real Simple magazine. This is a quick comfort food for cold days. You can substitute lima, cannellini, or borlotti beans for the great Northern beans in this recipe.
- Ready In:
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, fry the bacon until crisp.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Let cool, chop and set aside.
- Over medium heat, add the carrot to the pan drippings in the Dutch oven and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, onion, and garlic, stirring well and cooking for 3 minutes more.
- Add the beans and 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and, with a potato masher or large slotted spoon, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly.
- Stir in the parsley, salt, pepper and bacon.
- Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation