You might have guessed this is a copycat recipe and it rocks if you like Bean and Bacon Soup. Serve with cornbread and honey or sleeves of saltine crackers. Prep time includes bean soaking time.
- 2 cups navy beans
- 6 slices uncooked bacon, diced
- 3 small carrots, minced
- 3 stalks celery, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 dash dried red pepper flakes
- 6 -8 cups water (substituting 1 or 2 cups of ham stock for equal amount of water gives this soup extra depth)
- 1 teaspoon wine vinegar
- 3 drops liquid smoke
- salt and pepper
- Soak beans overnight and discard water.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT wine vinegar, liquid smoke, salt and pepper in a large kettle.
- Simmer until beans are tender, around 3 hours.
- Puree 2 cups of soup and return to pot.
- Add wine vinegar and liquid smoke.
- Mix well.
- Taste; add salt and pepper to taste.
While I didn't find this exactly like the Campbells version, it is very close, and is an excellent soup. I will definately make it again.
wow!this is just like the campbells soup! it was my first attempt at bean soup and i will not be looking for any other recipes......i love it!!!